Apr 6, 2020
UPDATE: The Law and Covid-19; new legal and regulatory changes.
Since our last e-mail to you on March 23rd, existing emergency measures have been extended to April 14, 2020. In addition, the Federal and Provincial governments have announced several new legal and regulatory changes.
We have updated our article “COVID-19 - LEGAL AND REGULATORY CHANGES - IMPACT ON BUSINESS” to summarize the most recent announcements and their impact on business, including:
- The Residential Relief Fund;
- Relief for remote northern property taxpayers;
- Updates to what businesses are deemed "essential", including what constitutes an essential construction project;
- WSIB premium payments deferred for employers for 6 months;
- Ontario's $17 billion rescue package;
- Suspension of timelines and meeting requirements under Ontario's Corporations Act and Business Corporations Act;
- Suspension of Ontario Superior Court of Justice's regular operations;
- The Federal Government's announcement with details on the "Canada Emergency Response Benefit" ("CERB") (applications now open);
- The Federal Government's new emergency wage subsidy program;
- The Federal Government's announcement regarding the "Canada Emergency Business Account"; and
- The Federal Government’s announcement regarding Loan Guarantee & Co-Lending Programs for Small and Medium Enterprises.
The landscape continues to change rapidly. We will continue to update this article on our website and circulate periodic email updates to you as new announcements are made.
COVID-19_LEGAL AND REGULATORY CHANGES_IMPACT ON BUSINESS (Apr 6 2020)