Robins Appleby LLP is a mid-sized business law firm with 30 lawyers. We provide a wide range of legal services including: Business Law, Estate & Succession Planning, Litigation, Real Estate, and Tax. For over 70 years, Robins Appleby LLP has provided practical legal advice to entrepreneurs, businesses, financial institutions and foreign companies conducting business in Canada. Our personalized approach guarantees responsive service and—most importantly—builds the committed relationship expected from a trusted advisor.
Robins Appleby offers an environment that encourages mentoring, inspires enthusiasm, and motivates and challenges employees to put forth their best efforts in achieving personal and firm goals.
LEGAL ASSISTANT – Commercial Litigation and Employment Law
We are currently looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Litigation team.
The ideal candidate will provide support to two lawyers and have experience in various aspects of commercial litigation and employment law.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the preparation of legal documents relating to employment litigation, estates litigation, debtor-creditor matters, real property disputes and high-profile class action litigation cases
- Schedule meetings and co-ordinate appointments as required
- Organize, open and maintain client files
- Responsible for daily correspondence, document preparation, drafting and filing court documents
- File preparation and management
- Organize, assemble and draft chambers records, books of authorities, court pleadings and prepare agreements as required
- General administrative duties including entering dockets and processing accounts
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of Legal Assistant or Law Clerk Diploma program; university degree is an asset
- Minimum of 3 years' experience within a commercial litigation and/or employment law practice
- Familiarity with current Court protocols, including the Rules of Civil Procedure, the Notices to Profession, and the online court filing systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience working with Adobe Pro or Kofax, as well as a document management system, e.g., IManage
- Possess well-developed organizational and time management skills in order to manage multiple priorities with ease in order to meet tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills help to build relationships and provide excellent client service
- A confident self-starter, who works well both independently, and in a team environment
- A keen problem solver with a solutions-driven mindset, and a strong attention to detail
- Show good judgment and respond well to constructive feedback.
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume to HR@robapp.com.
COVID-19 considerations: We have implemented a number of protocols and doing what we can to ensure the safety and comfort of our firm members.
Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19, in-office only as required
At Robins Appleby we are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds, inclusive of race, ethnicity, faith, religion or spiritual beliefs, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, abilities, social perspective and other characteristics. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.