International & Cross-border Businesses
For American and other international businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors, Canada has become a compelling place to do business. Canada has many advantages: a very stable business environment, political stability, the rule of law, and a highly educated and trained multilingual workforce. Equally important, Canadian businesses have the willingness to develop and attract world-class talent. Canada’s commercial capital, Toronto, is thriving and a great place to do business.
The cross-border lawyers at Robins Appleby are experienced in helping international companies establish their businesses in Canada. At the same time, we have been helping Canadian companies conduct business outside of Canada’s borders seamlessly.
Robins Appleby's cross-border lawyers have expertise in these areas:
- Mergers and Acquisitions;
- Secured Lending Transactions;
- Shareholder, Partnership and Joint Venture Structures; and
- Optimizing the Structure of Canadian Operations of a Foreign Business
Robins Appleby is a member of Legal Netlink Alliance, an international network of law firms. Legal Netlink Alliance has more than 1,500 lawyers in 100 law firms in 143 cities who speak more than 40 languages.
Robins Appleby provides seamless service for clients doing business in Canada and Canadian businesses looking to operate abroad. Our cross-border business lawyers provide effective, efficient, and goal-oriented advice for our clients doing business internationally.
Our Cross-Border Business Services—the Experience to Help You
In Canada and abroad, Robins Appleby helps clients with these services:
- Mergers and Acquisitions;
- Establishing tax-effective business structures;
- Debt and equity issues;
- Commercial negotiations;
- Private placement securities regulation compliance;
- Commercial real estate acquisitions;
- Establishing Canadian affiliates;
- Financing and development;
- Regulatory issues; and
Focus on 5 Strategic Industries for Cross-Border Business
The Business and Transactions Group at Robins Appleby has particular experience and expertise in these five strategic industry sectors:
- Wholesale and Distribution
Representative Cross-Border Business Mandates
- We have helped American and international clients in our five industry areas of focus with all types of corporate and commercial transactions including incorporation, acquisitions, divestitures, amalgamations, secured financings, joint ventures, partnership arrangements, preferred and common equity investments, and supply, licensing, and distribution agreements.
- Our broad and deep Commercial Real Estate and Development Group can facilitate and manage the purchase of premises to establish a physical presence in Canada. We can also help you with Leasing and Property Management.
- Our extensive network of consultants can help you in site selection, environmental and physical due diligence, financing, development, construction, renovation, LEED certification and all other real estate matters.
- We can help American and international businesses entering Canada, or that are expanding their Canadian operations, meet the regulatory and legal requirements the Canadian government imposes on businesses.
- We leverage our firm’s Tax Group to provide effective cross-border solutions, including Sales and Commodity Taxation, Tax Planning, and Tax Dispute Resolution and Litigation.
- We have expertise and experience in Litigation and Dispute Resolution. We have represented international firms involved in disputes in Ontario.
- We have relationships with law firms and lawyers across Canada, the United States, and internationally.