Mergers and Acquisitions
Mergers and acquisitions are complex transactions that need deep legal knowledge and understanding of the workings of business. Equally important, clients executing mergers and acquisitions transactions need sophisticated legal counsel, whether the deal is local or global, and involves varying levels of complexity. The mergers and acquisitions lawyers at Robins Appleby have the right level of legal advice clients need to lead the deal—and close the transaction successfully.
Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers provide cost-effective transactional services that meet our clients’ goals and objectives. Importantly, our mergers and acquisitions lawyers keep two paramount goals in mind during transactions:
- We help clients manage risk tailored specifically to their own risk tolerance, understanding how to mitigate unacceptable risk while remaining practical and goal-oriented; and
- Identifying and mitigating unacceptable risks before they become a problem, or worse, a crisis.
Within the mergers and acquisitions space, we have a laser focus on a group of key industry sectors that are always in demand, regardless of whether or not the economy is booming. Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers have particular experience in, and
focus on, the following five strategic industry sectors:
- Wholesale and Distribution
Our mergers and acquisitions clients are diverse: owner-operators, private equity, privately held companies, entrepreneurs, major domestic and international corporations, emerging companies, financial institutions, governmental entities, public companies, controlling shareholders, management buy-out groups, and boards of directors.
When advising on mergers and acquisitions transactions, we draw upon the expertise and experience of our entire firm including: the tax group, international and cross-border transactions, commercial real estate and development, secured lending, corporate finance, employment law, and on occasion, the corporate commercial litigation group.
In addition to Mergers and Acquisitions, the other services within Robins Appleby's Business and Transactions Group include:
- Cross-Border Transactions;
- Private Equity;
- Shareholder Partnership and Joint Venture Structures; and
- Secured Lending Transactions
Our Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers Understand Your Needs
Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers understand that successful transactions have many moving parts. Further, they typically have many stakeholders with complex implications. We understand how to work successfully with clients to preserve and leverage opportunities with aplomb.
Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers provide advisory services to a wide range of clients. To ensure a successful closing of the transaction, we:
- Actively participate in the early planning stages
- Provide insight, direction, and support in the due diligence process
- Team with our Tax Group and our clients’ financial advisers to create tax-advantageous acquisition and divestiture structures and agreements
- Leverage the expertise of our Commercial Real Estate and Development, Leasing and Employment lawyers
- Provide assurance, reporting and timely feedback to investors and lenders
- Streamline and quarterback work among legal, financial, cross-border, and other key advisers
Our Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers: The Experience to Help You
Our mergers and acquisitions lawyers help business owners, private equity, and strategic buyers with:
- Acquisition financing;
- Cross-border transactions;
- Distressed assets;
- Due diligence reviews;
- Employee benefits and executive compensation;
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances;
- Leveraged buy-outs;
- Management buy-outs; and
- Private equity-sponsored transactions
Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions
For American and other international businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors, Canada has become a compelling place to do business. Canada has many advantages: a very stable business environment, political stability, the rule of law, and a highly educated and trained multilingual workforce. Equally important, Canadian businesses have a willingness to develop and attract world-class talent. Canada’s commercial capital, Toronto, is thriving and a great place to do business.
The cross-border lawyers at Robins Appleby are experienced in helping international companies establish their businesses in Canada. At the same time, we have been helping Canadian companies conduct business outside of Canada’s borders seamlessly.
Robins Appleby's cross-border lawyers have expertise in these areas:
- Mergers and Acquisitions;
- Shareholder Partnership and Joint Venture Structures;
- Secured Lending Transactions; and
- Optimizing the Structure of Canadian Operations of a Foreign Business
In Canada and abroad, Robins Appleby helps clients with these services:
- Mergers and Acquisitions;
- Establishing tax-effective business structures;
- Debt and equity issues;
- Commercial negotiations;
- Private placement securities regulation compliance;
- Commercial real estate acquisitions;
- Establishing Canadian affiliates;
- Financing and development; and
Learn more about our Cross Border Lawyers.
Call or email us now to discuss your merger or acquisition transaction.