Robert Santia brings a characteristically unique enthusiasm to everything he does and nowhere is this more evident than in the practice of law. One need only spend five minutes speaking with Robert about tax and estate planning to understand that Robert deeply enjoys his work.
Robert practices as an associate lawyer in Robins Appleby’s Tax group. Robert works primarily with individuals, private businesses and their advisors to help achieve personal, business and financial objectives, including minimizing tax liabilities by developing and implementing practical and creative strategies that are tailored to meet the needs of the client.
Robert has extensive experience designing and executing a wide array of tax-driven corporate reorganizations, as well as advising on the use of domestic and offshore trusts for tax and estate planning purposes. Robert has developed a particular expertise in assisting high net-worth families in structuring their holdings to minimize tax that arises in connection with generational succession and death. In connection with his interest in these subjects, Robert has written a number of articles for Canadian and international tax publications and has spoken on these topics for various professional and educational associations.
Outside of the office, Robert enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter, cooking and learning foreign languages. In addition to his native English, Robert speaks fluent French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, as well as conversational Mandarin Chinese.
co-authored with Nathan Wright, Canadian Tax Focus, Vol. 6, No. 4 (Canadian Tax Foundation), November, 2016.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Awards and Recognition
- Community Involvement
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada), In-Depth Tax Course, Levels I to III, 2021
- University of British Columbia, LL.M (Taxation), 2015
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2014
- McGill University, B.A., 2010
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- 2022, 2023 and 2024 Editions of Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch
- LL.M in Taxation Award, University of British Columbia
- Past Co-Chair, Osgoode Hall Law School Intensive Program in Wills & Estates (Taxation in Wills and Estates)