Ronald Appleby KC B.Comm., LL.B., Hon.D.Phil.
- Honorary D. Philosophy 2009, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Queen’s Counsel, 1982
- Ontario, 1970
Ronald Appleby's expertise in taxation and estate planning has earned him the respect of clients in the Canadian business community, government officials, and other lawyers.
Ronnie is known for his wisdom, judgment, and intellect and can be relied upon to provide practical business answers as well as solid legal advice. He takes pride in his personal relationships with clients and sees his role as that of a trusted friend and premier adviser to families and closely held businesses.
Ronnie's practice includes consulting on income tax and business matters in major commercial transactions and corporate reorganizations, as well as estate planning for high net worth individuals. He is one of the most experienced and effective lawyers in the country in dealing with the unique problems of family businesses and succession.
Ronnie served as an editor of the Osgoode Hall Law Journal and received the outstanding individual award at the Ontario Law School's Advocacy Tournament. He attained first class honours in four consecutive years at the University of Toronto from which he holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree.
Recognized by his peers and community, Ronnie has received multiple awards including: an Honorary Doctorate from the Hebrew University on Mount Scopus; the 2001 Ben Sadowski Award for Lifetime Excellence in Communal Leadership; and the Outstanding Individual Award from the Ontario Law School’s Advocacy Tournament. Ronnie was also recognized at the 2004 Negev Dinner in a tribute to Ronnie attended by almost 1,500 individuals. Ronnie holds the title of King's Counsel and, in 2012, received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Award Medal from the Government of Canada.
Ronnie is married to Bunnie. They have four children, three sons-in-law, one daughter-in-law and nine grandchildren.
- Awards and Recognition
- Community Involvement
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B. (Hons.), 1968
- University of Toronto, B.Comm. (Hons.), 1965
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Foundation for Legal Research in Canada
- International Fiscal Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- York County Law Association
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Award Medal, Government of Canada, 2012
- Honorary Doctorate, Convocation at the Hebrew University on Mount Scopus, 2009
- Tribute, Negev Dinner, 2004
- Lifetime Excellence in Commercial Leadership, Ben Sadowski Award, 2001
- Outstanding Individual Award, Ontario Law School’s Advocacy Tournament, 1968
- Baycrest Foundaton, Past Chairman, 2006-2009
- Canadian Friends of Hebrew University, Past President, 2004-2010
- United Jewish Appeal, Past Chairman, 2002
- Faculty of Osgoode Hall Law School, Special Lecturer, 1974-1989
- Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto, Past President, 1985-1987
- Jewish Theological Seminary, Board of Overseers, 1987-1990
- Osgoode Hall Law Journal, Past Editor, 1967-1968
- Chaired major fundraising campaigns or dinners for:
- Asper Centre at the School of Business of the Hebrew University
- Hartman Institute
- Institute for Medical Research Israel-Canada
- Jewish National Fund in honour of Kurt Rothschild, Joey Tenanbaum, Ed Sonshine and John Tory
- Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Prostate Cancer Research at Princess Margaret Hospital and the Weizman Institute
- Reena Foundation
Board of Directors of several publicly listed corporations and private corporations. Ronald has also amongst others, held positions as Chairman of the Board of Jewish Federation of greater Toronto, Baycrest Foundation and the Canadian Friends of Hebrew University