Our experience and expertise in all aspects of commercial leasing enhances and adds value to our Real Estate Group. We represent public, private and governmental landlords, tenants, property management companies, retail franchisors, and lenders including GWL Realty Advisors Inc., RIOCAN REIT, First Gulf Corporation, Toronto Port Lands Company, Northam Realty Advisors Limited and others. They depend on our experience and expertise when dealing with complex lease transactions, lease enforcement, lease interpretation and lease reviews as part of due diligence and lease litigation.
We take the time and effort to understand the business and objectives of each client so that we can strategize the means by which they can achieve those objectives in a cost-effective and practical manner. We understand our role is to add value to the “deal makers” and not become “deal breakers”.
Our team has been involved as lead counsel in some of the City of Toronto's major public lease transactions over the last few years including the ground lease to Corus Entertainment for its head office on the City of Toronto's waterfront lands as well as the ground lease to Toronto Film Studios (now Pinewood Studios) for the then world’s largest sound stage on part of the City's Port Lands. Our leasing transactions run the gamut from one-off deals for small private landlord and retailer tenants to those involving companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Members of our Leasing Group are regular contributors to leading printed and on-line commercial leasing publications and are often requested to address their peers on leasing-related matters at legal seminars and conferences. They are members of the Toronto chapter of NAIOP (National Association of Industrial and Office Properties) and the ICSC (International Conference of Shopping Centres).
We act for all types of income property owners, property management companies and tenants on matters such as:
- negotiating offers to lease. Lease documentation for commercial, retail, industrial, condominium, restaurant and office properties, shopping centres, manufacturing facilities, warehouses and hotels
- drafting and negotiating property management agreements
- preparing project-specific precedent agreements
- advising on all manners of lease defaults including receivership and bankruptcies of tenants
- guiding multi-unit residential building owners on Ontario’s residential tenancy legislation
- lease interpretations relating to matters or disputes involving operating cost issues, defaults, extension rent and realty tax
- lease dispute litigation, arbitration and mediation
We have counselled clients in connection with a wide range of specialty leasing and financing arrangements, such as ground leases, sale-leaseback deals and lease-option arrangements. We also have substantial experience in the unwinding of leases, including early termination planning as well as negotiation and restructuring of documentation.